Monday, November 23, 2009

Thankful/Not Thankful - Nusuth



Light meat or dark? Yes, I know it's just wrong.

Since this is Thanksgiving week here in the U.S., I thought I'd do the obligatory thanks giving post. With a twist.

I truly do have a lot of things to be thankful for and oddly enough, many of them have to do with things I am most decidedly not thankful about.

For one thing, I'm not thankful for the guy who thought it would be okay to put his arm around my niece at her place of business and make a remark about the size of her chest. I am grateful that such incidents are more rare than they were when I was starting out and that advice like my mother's about not letting a man corner you in the stock room alone is no longer required.

I'm not thankful for hypocrites in politics, religion, or business and am grateful I don't personally know any.

I'm not thankful for overpaid, over-appreciated celebrities in sports and entertainment, but I am grateful for the number of them who donate time and money to both large and small nonprofits.


I'm not thankful for the number of idiots who think it's offensive to spay or neuter their pets and I am very grateful to the number of caring people in the world who give of themselves to help find loving homes for all those unwanted animals.

I am definitely not thankful for the liars, scammers, and thieves who think the best way to get rich is to steal the money from someone else. And I am grateful for the hard work and honesty of the majority of people who won't take what they haven't earned.

As Ursula K. Le Guin made clear in her book The Left Hand of Darkness (from where I get the word nusuth), you can't appreciate the light without the dark. And you cannot recognize darkness without light. 

I am grateful most of all for the lessons I have learned in my life and the ones I have yet to learn. I would not know real happiness without the pain I've experienced and I would not be able to recognize pain's lessons if not for the happiness that has followed.

Enjoy the holiday as much as you are able. Store up the light against the coming darknesses and let yourself travel gently through the darkness, knowing it will once again turn to light.

No comments :