Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Is Your Small Nonprofit Responding to the Donor Instead of to the Ground?

Civilization II: Multiplayer Gold Edition by Eivind IV.
The good news is, I found a new place to live. The bad news is, I'm totally busy with packing up and stuff, so my own views on some of these subjects will have to wait to be shared. However, these articles are very worthwhile reading - and pondering.

Read and Think

In July, Peter Buffett, the Co-Chair of the NoVo Foundation, wrote about something he termed "Philanthropic Colonialism". Buffett's views have definitely caused conversation, which even spilled over to the Chronicle of Philanthropy. So Idealist thought an interview with him would be a great follow-up. I found the interview on Medium. They have a link to Buffett's original article in the NY Times, so you might want to start there.

Guest Posts Coming

Starting next month, SMBirdbrain will be pleased to publish the first of three posts on video and your small nonprofit. Our guest blogger is Maddie Hammond of Skeleton Productions in the UK, who has also guest-posted for Beth Kanter. I'll be posting one a month through November. Since I have not gotten into using video, I thought we could all learn from this.

Is It Nuts to Give Money To the Poor?

Some of you may know my degree is in Political Science and I really am interested in how politics affects doing good. Chris Blattman's article is related to this, specifically about how policy, poverty, and politics come together to affect developing countries. Does it really do any good to give cash to the poor? Chris looks at the ROI.

Thunderclap

And here's a new tool I learned about through my NTEN newsletter. Thunderclap is a way to use crowdsourcing to lend power to something that might not otherwise get attention. From what I can see by exploring current campaigns, you can see not only whether or not each Thunderclap met (or exceeded) its goals, but how it is doing in terms of social reach.

Thanks for dropping by and sticking with me through this transition.

No comments :